Artist | Jonathan Small
SELECTED EXHIBITIONS, COMPETITIONS, & COMMISSIONS:
- Newport Annual Members’ Juried Exhibitions, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, Newport Art Museum, Newport, RI.
- Pawtucket Foundation Prize Exhibition, 2016, Juried Exhibition, Jurors: Nancy Whipple Grinnell and Catherine Little Bert, Pawtucket Arts Collaborative, Pawtucket, RI.
- Greenspace, 2016, Invitational Show, T.F. Green Airport, Warwick, RI.
- A Sense of Light, 2015, Three Artists Members’ Show, Providence, RI.
- Common Elements, 2015, Three Artists Show, DeBlois Gallery, Middletown, RI.
- Juried Members’ Exhibition, 2015, Portsmouth Arts Guild, Portsmouth, RI. Second Place Award.
- Nationwide All Media Open Juried Exhibition, 2014, Providence Art Club, Providence, RI.
- Little Pictures Show, 2013, 2014, 2015, Providence Art Club, Providence, RI.
- Artists for Save the Bay, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, Invitational Shows, Save The Bay Center, Providence, RI.
- Annual Juried Members Show, 2013, Portsmouth Arts Guild, Portsmouth, RI, 2nd Place Award.
- Imagine Green, 2013, Juried Show, Portsmouth Arts Guild, Portsmouth, RI, Honorable Mention.
- Town & Country, 2013, Juried Show, Portsmouth Arts Guild, Portsmouth, RI, 2nd Place Award.
- Pure Fantasy, 2012, Juried Show, Portsmouth Arts Guild, Portsmouth, RI, 1st Place Award.
- Annual Juried Members Show, 2011, Portsmouth Arts Guild, Portsmouth, RI, 2nd Place Award.
- Six Artists Celebrating Rhode Island Independence, 2011, Invitational show, McGrath Judicial Complex, Wakefield, RI,
- Freedom of Expression, 2011, Invitational Show, Bristol Art Gallery, Bristol, RI
- Off the Wall, 2010, Danforth Museum, Framingham, MA. Two entries selected by co-jurors Jen Mergel, Senior Curator of Contemporary Art at Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts, and Helen Molesworth, Chief Curator at Boston’s Institute of Contemporary Art.
- I Got Rhythm, 2010, Juried show, Portsmouth Arts Guild, Portsmouth, RI, Honorable Mention Award.
- Beyond the Lens, 2010, Juried Show Exploring New Expressions in Photography, Portsmouth Arts Guild, Portsmouth, RI. 3rd Place Award.
- Annual Members’ All Media Exhibition, 2010, Portsmouth Arts Guild, Portsmouth, RI, 1st Place People’s Choice Award.
- Travel Work Exhibition, Invitational Show, 2010, Worcester Art Museum, Worcester, MA.
- Best of Wet Canvas Competition, 2009, On line international competition, Finalist Award in the Still Life Category.
- ALRI 3rd Annual Associate Members’ Exhibition, 2009, Gallery 297, Bristol, RI; juror, Nancy Whipple Grinnell; Top painting award, the Art League of Rhode Island Award of Excellence.
- Portsmouth Veterinary Clinic, Portsmouth, RI, commissioned painting in 2007 and two more in 2013.
- Decordova Museum School, Lincoln, MA, summer school, 1972.
- University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, undergraduate painting with George Woodman, 1972-3.
- Massachusetts College of Art, Boston, MA, undergraduate illustration, 1976.
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA, Continuing Education, 1977.
- Rhode Island School of Art and Design, Providence, RI, Continuing Education, 2005-10, including courses and workshops with Robin Wiseman, Julie Gearan, Marc Torick, and Dean Dalfonzo.
- Newport Art Association, Newport, RI, Coleman Center, 2005-2010, including courses and workshops with Dora Atwater Milliken, David Barnes, John Kilroy, Margo Rubin, Ilsa Buchart Nesbitt, Richard Grosvenor, and a workshop on Monhegan Island with Julie Shoen.
- Worcester Art Museum, 2010, workshop on the Isles of Shoals with Susan Swinand.
- Portsmouth Arts Guild, Portsmouth, RI, Exhibition Committee Chairman 2009 – 2013
- Newport Art Association, Collections Committee Member, Newport, RI
- Providence Art Club, Exhibiting Artist Member and Instructor, 2014 – present.
- Portsmouth Arts Guild: “Still Life Painting”, 2011, “Painting Paradise”, 2012, (a course combining plein air painting and the history of painting in the Paradise area of Middletown, RI), “Paint a Tonalist Landscape”, 2012, “Plein Air Workshops”, 2013.
- Newport Art Museum, “Painting an Impressionist’s Newport”, 2013, (a two day workshop combining plein air painting and the history of impressionist painting in Newport).
- Providence Art Club: “Landscape Painting”, 2016.
- Spring Bull Gallery, “It’s up to You”, 2012
- Providence Art Club, “Members’ Exhibition”, 2013
- Portsmouth Arts Guild, “Members’ Juried Show”, 2014